Sunday 5 June 2011

Competitive illustrating

A few weeks ago I was asked if I'd like to design some characters for an organisation in Oxford. They were asking a few illustrators to put together some examples so this would be my first competitive pitch as an illustrator. Scary!

I was given personality briefs for a set of five characters and finding the right animal to fit those personalities was great fun. However years of being a designer kicked in quite quickly; did they want evolution or revolution? What impact would these new illustrations have on their brand? Do they have a colour palette? So, without knowing the answers to many of those questions I submitted two alternative looks and I'm happy to say that they liked one of them. Nothing is confirmed yet, but I've done a little more work for them so hopefully something concrete will come from this. It would be very exciting to see my illustrations in the real world and of course I will share them on here, but until then I can only share the set that, unfortunately, didn't get selected.


The other set were all hand drawn, so for a bit of variety I went for slightly wonky vector drawings with long, lean profiles but added a bit of warmth and texture by filling them with photographs of found objects. You can see here that the little bear is filled with some wonderfully stripey fabric that I found at home.


The monkey is filled with the pattern and texture of an old bath towel


And the robot is gets a close-up of a piece of enamel that I made at school when I was about 13 - funny the uses you find for things!


If the other set of characters go any further I'll let you know and be sure to share what I can when I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment